Action Fraud is contacting around 22,000 UK victims who have made a report of fraud in which they stated that the method of transfer for payments involved a money transfer via Western Union.
Who can apply for a refund?
Action Fraud and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) were made aware of a US court ruling in respect of Western Union which may affect some victims in the UK that have previously reported to Action Fraud.
Action Fraud has confirmed that anybody in the UK who was a victim of fraud which involved making a wire transfer payment via Western Union between 1 January 2004 and 19 January 2017 may be eligible to recover some of the funds paid.
How to apply for a refund?
You can either apply online or by post until 12 February 2018.
- To apply online, fill in the Western Union remission claim form.
- To apply by post, download the claims form and send it to: United States vs the Western Union Company, PO Box 404028, Louisville, KY 40233-4028.
- You do not need your Action Fraud number to make a claim.
For the latest information about the remission process:
- Check www.WesternUnionRemission.com for updates.
- Email: [email protected]
- Or call: (844) 319-2124 (international call charges apply)
If you want to find more detail, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) has a detailed list of frequently asked questions.
Please do not contact Action Fraud, the NFIB or City of London Police as we cannot pursue a claim on your behalf.
How to protect yourself?
We believe that fraudsters may use this court settlement to commit fraud recovery fraud on victims who are not aware of all the facts.
Fraudsters are clever, so stay one step ahead by knowing what to look out for:
- Filing a claim is free, so don’t pay anyone to file a claim on your behalf. No one associated with the claims process will call to ask for your bank account or credit card number.
- Watch out for copy-cat websites. Make sure you only apply through the official website and do not apply for a refund elsewhere.
- You don’t have to pay to get your money back or use a claims firm.
- Action Fraud cannot claim money on your behalf.
Report fraud and cyber crime and receive a police crime reference number.